Global Shakespeares: Re-Creating the Merchant of Venice from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
William Shakespeare is the most performed playwright on the globe; this course brings his play The Merchant of Venice into the 21st century by comparing multiple recent performances, from film and television stagings to an international production that marked the first performance of the play in the former Jewish Ghetto of Venice, Italy. Students will:
- Learn how to read and perform Shakespeare
- Investigate the historical and contemporary context of Shakespeare’s works, including why and how they continue to be read and performed
- Gain insight from Shakespeare scholars, historians, theater professionals, and actors
- Produce and Perform selected scenes using the knowledge and techniques they have learned
* Photos and promotional materials on this page are copyrighted on edx.com.
We only endorse high-quality online courses and educational content. This page contains affiliate links and we may earn a small commission when you click on the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Read the full policy here.