In this course, we will explore a series of contemporary conflicts in different regions of the world with a special focus on identifying and analyzing the diverse and complex roles that religions play in both promoting and mitigating violence in each context. Students will learn a method for recognizing and analyzing how religious ideologies are embedded in all arenas of human agency and not isolated from political, economic, and cultural life as is often assumed.
In addition to examining the conflicts themselves, we will also explore the religious dimensions of the impacts those conflicts have on civic life in areas such as public health, education, and commerce by addressing a series of questions.
- What roles do religions play in fostering violence and what roles do they play in promoting peace?
- How do religious institutions and ideologies function to support and/or thwart public health initiatives?
- What are the ideological justifications for functional economic policies and how do they reflect and/or challenge diverse religious values?
- What roles do religions play in advancing or suppressing educational opportunities and for whom?
- Are media representations of the religious dimensions of conflict accurate?
* Photos and promotional materials on this page are copyrighted on edx.com.
We only endorse high-quality online courses and educational content. This page contains affiliate links and we may earn a small commission when you click on the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Read the full policy here.